THE SCHOOL OF MATHEMATICS AND STATISTICS
The School of Mathematics, Statistics and Actuarial Science focuses on teaching and research programs which, besides ensuring a rational exploitation of the vast natural resource potential also offers opportunities for scientific innovations for job creation and employment in the public and private sector as well as self- employment.
The mission of the School of Mathematics, Statistics and Actuarial Science is to be a strong and outstanding centre for the teaching, development and promotion of mathematics and allied disciplines to support sustainable economic development society, striving at all times for relevance in teaching and research and excellence among staff and students.
The school pursues broad interests, bringing together a range of expertise with focus on application of mathematics to human resource development; and research in mathematics and allied disciplines and a focus on the conservation of natural resources and the integration of environmental issues.
Our mandates are:
1. To promote and optimize the role of mathematics in all aspects of national growth and development.
2. To produce skilled and competent manpower capable of independent thinking and creativity.
3. To achieve and maintain the highest academic standards among staff and students.
4. To promote the development of post-graduate studies in all areas of focus in the school.
5. To promote research-based teaching and learning.
6. To promote the creation of a user-friendly information society.
7. To promote/enhance interdisciplinary co-operation.
8. To promote co-operation between units of the school and national and international institutions, agencies and individuals interested in the advancement of mathematics education, the utilization of technology and conservation and sustainable of natural resources.
9. To facilitate the acquisition of the necessary infrastructure and facilities in all units of the school for effective teaching and research.